&#x;&#x;

Below are some examples of my 3D works

&#x;&#x;

Below are some examples of my work

Room with a view

Scene depicting small apartment with day/night lighting in Unity 5

This scene is a small city apartment I’ve created in Unity 5 over a week and a half using 3ds MAX, Substance Painter, Substance Designer and Marvelous Designer.

I wanted to go for a “lived in” look so I’ve modelled odd pieces of paper lying around, cutlery in the sink for washing up and so on.

I’ve used Substance Painter for nearly every asset and Substance Designer for repeating textures such as the floor and walls.

I’ve also created a refractive glass shader in Shader Forge with an alpha overlay for props such as washing up liquid bottles and coffee machine pots.

Reflection probes are used for baked reflections in each room and the entire scene was lightmapped with Enlighten in Unity to create realistic lighting conditions. Additionally,day/night lightmaps and lighting rigs were created so the user could switch between day and night lighting.

This scene uses the Global Post Processing Effects created by Unity and have included a screenshot of the scene with no post processing.

This scene also features a four camera Cinemachine setup with box colliders acting as triggers. I wrote a quick C# script to swap the cameras smoothly whenever the player walks into the associated box collider.

The grey character is just a placeholder for testing and the positions and transitions between the cameras are not final and will be improved upon.

I’m still working on this scene so will post an update on how it’s developed since this iteration.

Detailed study of a room

An exercise in create assets in a particular style

This is a hotel room scene I’ve worked on in Unity 5.6 to create an appealing and interesting environment. I created all the models in the scene and used Substance Painter and Substance Designer to texture them. I also taught myself how to use Unity’s Progressive baked lightmapping system.

I created all the models and made all the textures with Substance Painter/Photoshop – with the exception of the photographs in the photo frames which are placeholder only.

It’s still a work in progress and I hope to add more detail to it in the future.

Crashed space ship

Still functioning yet nature is taking over

This is a scene I’ve modelled in MAX and then textured with Substance Painter. Rather than using a render engine like MentalRay or Cycles I decided to have a practice at using Unity 5 as a realtime solution to rendering.

The .gif image to the left shows the scene running in Play mode while a more high res image is viewable in the gallery below.

The vines were created as splines and the computers have emission maps to make their lights glow in Unity.

I also used Unity’s post processing effects to add Bloom and subtle colour grading to the scene.

Monster truck

Exercise is vehicle modelling

I’ve created this monster truck in 3ds MAX and then textured it in Substance painter to practice my hard surface modelling skills and overall model workflow.

I used the technique of instantiation and symmetrical editing heavily in the course of this project. By creating instances of a mesh, such as a shock absorber and then using modifiers to duplicate them around the truck I could visualise how the final model would look, have my edits to a single mesh ripple through all instances in realtime and save time required to copy and paste the mesh and place it around the scene manually when finished.

All textures were created in Substance Painter using the PBR Metalness/Roughness workflow and were authored in 4k. In a game/realtime context these maps could obviously be derezzed or controlled by Level-of-Distance groups to save memory.

I’ve created a quick scene in Unity to showcase the PBR textures and view the truck in a lit environment.

Additionally the doors are separate meshes that have pivots allowing them to open and close as shown in the last picture in the gallery.

This is a high poly model and optimisation would be needed to bring it down to a game-friendly poly count. A large amount of the poly count is concentrated on the wheels (perhaps in a future revision I will bake a lot of the detail to normal/height/parallax maps while derezzing these meshes).

Without the wheels the mesh poly count is

Tris: 29,365

Faces: 15,194

Including the wheels the total poly count is

Tris: 53,373

Faces: 28,146

Lot of room for optimisation evidently, as mentioned previously I may come back to this vehicle in the future with a game-ready version – I’ve learnt a lot through modelling this vehicle and creating my own concept from looking at different elements in reference images monster trucks and pick up trucks.

Egyptian tomb

Ongoing project to improve environment creation skills

I have created created a small scene in Unity comprising of two linked Ancient Egyptian style pyramid chambers, one with a relaxing pool of water and the other with an angry pharoah mummy who has just awoken.

I handpainted all the textures in the scene using Substance Painter and I also used emission maps to create magic glowing hieroglyphics on the skirting boards and columns.

So that the wall texture did not get too repetitive and boring I made a quick ShaderForge Shader that rotates the texture 90 degrees at every other tiling so it is more interesting.

I also created the water shader in ShaderForge and modelled, textured and rigged the pharaoh and Anubis statue before posing them.

I used Unity’s post processing effects to colour grade the scene, add bloom and depth of field. I also added light shafts to add to the atmosphere. I’ve included both the final and ungraded image to the left of this text so you can see the difference.